Life Cycle Study Confirms It! Give Wheat a Chance.Offsetters' Life Cycle Study confirms that copy paper made from agricultural waste is o...
As Canada’s leading provider of sustainability and carbon-management solutions, Offsetters helps organizations and individuals understand, reduce and offset their environmental impacts.
Offsetters was founded in 2005 by Dr. James Tansey in response to growing demand from companies for sophisticated advisory services related to their environmental impacts and a desire to reduce and offset those impacts through high quality greenhouse gas reduction projects. Over almost a decade, we have worked with partners across North America, the British Columbia government and large events including the Olympics and America’s Cup.
Based in Vancouver, British Columbia and Portland, Oregon, we have grown to a team of close to 30 with expertise in greenhouse gas measurement including CDP reporting, offset project development, water footprinting, climate change science and policy, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and carbon finance. Recognizing the role of technology in providing scalable solutions for business, our software solutions can track and manage land and forest assets, lifecycle carbon emissions and transportation efficiency projects. Visit our bios to learn more about our team.
Through our sister company, ERA Ecosystem Services, we provide global forest carbon project development, ecosystems services, and conservation finance services.
- We will be the partner of choice for leaders who care about climate change and reducing their environmental impact
- We will inspire our employees to create and pursue opportunities to reduce society’s environmental impact and to be adaptive to change
- Having retired over 6 million tonnes to date, we will continue to innovate to mitigate society’s impact on the planet’s ecosystems through the expansion of offsets and other ecosystem service initiatives
Our mission We promote a shift to an environmentally sustainable future by helping our clients to understand, reduce, and offset their environmental impact.
Our values Passion, integrity, and possibility are the core values that influence everything we do.
A History of Firsts
- First-ever Official Supplier of Carbon Offsets to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
- First Canadian company to co-develop a Gold Standard cookstove project in Africa
- First developer of high-quality carbon offset projects in British Columbia and in Canada
- First Canadian company to be listed on a Verified Carbon Standard (formerly Voluntary Carbon Standard) registry—Markit
- Offset provider for North America's First Carbon neutral airline, Canada’s first carbon neutral coffee company, and Canada’s largest carbon neutral credit union
- Largest initial supplier to the Pacific Carbon Trust
- First and only Canadian Accredited Consultancy Partner of the CDP, who provides a global system for companies and cities to measure, disclose, manage and share vital environmental information
- First Canadian member of the International Carbon Reduction and Offset Alliance (ICORA)
- Official Supplier of GLOBE 2014 Carbon offsets
- Official Sponsor of Carbon Offsets for Sustainable Brands San Diego 2014, New Metrics Boston 2014 and London 2014
Memberships & Alliances:
- Canadian Olympic Committee
- BC Sustainable Energy Association (BCSEA)
- Landfill Methane Outreach Program
- Pacific Institute for Climate Studies
- Vancouver Board of Trade
- Green energy advisory task force on carbon pricing, trading and export development for the BC Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resource
- International Carbon Reduction and Offset Alliance (ICROA)
- Canadian Accredited Consultancy Partner of the CDP
- Advertising & Design Club of Canada - Gold 2011
- CLIO Awards - Direct Mail Bronze 2011
- One Show - Finalist, Best Direct Mail Single 2011
- Applied Arts Design Miscellaneous - Series 2011
- Applied Arts Advertising/Non Traditional Single 2010
- Lotus Awards Certificate of Merit 2010
- Canadian Newspaper Association Award 2010
- James Tansey – Top 40 Under 40, Business in Vancouver 2010
- James Tansey – Ernst & Young, Entrepreneur of the Year nominee 2010
- Marketing Awards – Silver Public Service Print/Out Of Home Single Or Campaign 2009
- Applied Arts Advertising/Non Traditional Single 2009
- Premier’s Award for Innovation on Denman Island Carbon Project 2011
- Non-Profit Sector Land Award for Innovation by the Real Estate Foundation of BC for Darkwoods Carbon Project 2011
- James Tansey - Queen's Diamond Jubilee award for Environmental Contributions to the province 2013
Third Party Certifications:
- Gold Standard
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)
- British Columbia Emission Offset Regulation (BC EOR)
- Alberta Offset System (ABOS)
- European Union Emissions Trading System (EU-ETS)
- Our Advisory Services team members have all been individually certified as GHG Inventory Quantifiers (GHG-IQ) by the Canadian Standards Association
Interested in working together? Contact us to learn more about how we can team up.