Summer Newsletter 2014 Offsetters Summer 2014 Newsletter In this issu...
As Canada’s leading provider of carbon-management solutions, Offsetters helps organizations and individuals understand, reduce and offset their climate impact.
In 2005, Dr. James Tansey saw a growing demand amongst colleagues and corporations in BC for a dependable source of high-quality offsets; Offsetters was created to serve that need. James is a respected professor at the University of British Columbia who continues to publish on a range of research topics, including social enterprise, climate change and social impacts and acceptability of new technologies.
Based in Vancouver, we’ve grown to a team of close to 30 with expertise in greenhouse gas measurement, climate change science and policy, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and carbon finance. Visit our bios to learn more about our team.
- We will be the partner of choice for leaders who care about climate change
- We’ll inspire our employees to create possibilities and be adaptive to change
- We will retire 1 million high-quality tonnes of carbon offsets by 2012
We promote a shift to a low-carbon future by helping our clients to understand, reduce, and offset their greenhouse gas emissions.
Passion, integrity, and possibility are the core values that influence everything we do.
We believe in leading by example, so you’ll always find our latest greenhouse gas report available online. We make every effort to understand and manage our own carbon footprint and encourage all businesses and individuals to do the same.
Offsetting is one way to take positive action against climate change. When you engage in an activity that emits greenhouse gases, you can “offset” that emission by purchasing an equivalent emission reduction credit. While your emission has still occurred, your offset has enabled a reduction of GHG elsewhere.
For those looking to reduce their climate impact through carbon management, our simple approach works for both individuals and businesses:
Understand your carbon footprint
Reduce emissions wherever possible
Offset emissions that can’t be reduced or eliminated.
From the very beginning, we’ve set our bar high by focusing, and differentiating, on quality:
High quality offset projects All our projects result in real, additional, and permanent reductions in CO2 emissions, plus have strong additional, social and environmental benefits.
Quantification and emissions management We use best-in-sector methodologies to help our clients develop baselines, set true and attainable reduction targets, and report reliably and credibly to their stakeholders.
Some recent successes
- First-ever Official Supplier of Carbon Offsets to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
- Largest initial offset provider for Pacific Carbon Trust
- Offset provider for North America's First Carbon neutral airline, Canada’s first carbon neutral coffee company, and Canada’s largest carbon neutral credit union
- First Canadian company to co-develop an African cook stoves project
Memberships & Alliances:
- Canadian Olympic Committee
- BC Sustainable Energy Association (BCSEA)
- Landfill Methane Outreach Program
- Pacific Institute for Climate Studies
- Vancouver Board of Trade
- Green energy advisory task force on carbon pricing, trading and export development for the BC Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources
- International Carbon Reducation and Offset Alliance (ICROA)
- Advertising & Design Club of Canada - Gold 2011
- CLIO Awards - Direct Mail Bronze 2011
- One Show - Finalist, Best Direct Mail Single 2011
- Applied Arts Design Miscellaneous - Series 2011
- Applied Arts Advertising/Non Traditional Single 2010
- Lotus Awards Certificate of Merit 2010
- Canadian Newspaper Association Award 2010
- James Tansey – Top 40 Under 40, Business in Vancouver 2010
- James Tansey – Ernst & Young, Entrepreneur of the Year nominee 2010
- Marketing Awards – Silver Public Service Print/Out Of Home Single Or Campaign 2009
- Applied Arts Advertising/Non Traditional Single 2009
Third Party Certifications:
- Gold Standard
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)
- British Columbia Emission Offset Regulation (BC EOR)
- Alberta Offset System (ABOS)
- European Union Emissions Trading System (EU-ETS)
- Our Advisory Services team members have all been individually certified as GHG Inventory Quantifiers (GHG-IQ) by the Canadian Standards Association
Interested in working together? Contact us to learn more about how we can team up.