Sauder professor leader in social innovation
The report makes 11 recommendations for how government, businesses, non-profits and communities should use social innovation to solve the province’s most pressing social issues.
“The recommendations in this report have the potential to stimulate social innovation across B.C. in a way that has long-term impact on some of our greatest social challenges,” said Associate Professor Tansey. “It’s been an honour to participate and to bring our expertise to the table.”
The action plan focuses on five key areas for progress: supporting social enterprise; increasing legislative enablement; creating social innovation labs; generating community engagement; and fostering learning and research. Some of the recommendations build on innovative ideas currently gaining ground in the province and around the world, such as the Social Enterprise Tax Credit, BC Ideas and Social Innovation Labs.
The BC Social Innovation Council was established in January 2011 by Gordon Hogg, B.C.’s first parliamentary secretary for social innovation. The Council consists of government, Aboriginal and community organisations, and business agencies with an interest in social entrepreneurship.
Last November, the ISIS Research Centre began partnering with the Province of British Columbia on social innovation initiatives. The goal is to generate innovative solutions to social problems, which will work both on a local and a provincial level.
The work of ISIS is focused on leveraging business tools to advance social innovation and sustainability, through research, incubation and application.
The research centre defines social innovation as any new ideas or ventures contributing to solving existing social, cultural, economic, political and environmental challenges and encompasses concepts such as social enterprise, social finance and strategic corporate social responsibility.
Complete Offsetters Media KitDownload PDF
Offsetters Investor PresentationDownload PDF
- Record number of environmental proposals by shareholders demand aggressive corporate action to combat climate change http://t.co/v1R40kEItV
- RT @EcoMarketplace: Full disclosure, @Offsetters joins forces with @CDP to boost Canadian corporate carbon disclosures http://t.co/GsyrTdq…
- Obama puts sustainability front and center. How new budget will boost federal spending on climate change mitigation http://t.co/W9xR25ATsI
- Are you passionate about REDD+? Our friends at Verified Carbon are hiring http://t.co/v233XP7l7f
- Which generation is leading the way for sustainable behaviour? How environmental action is impacted by life stage http://t.co/EAqzxmmfBY