Hemlock: First Canadian Printer to Earn Green-e
By PrintAction Staff, PrintAction
Hemlock Printers continues to build its standing as one of North America’s most environmentally progressive printing operations as the Burnaby, BC, company became Canada’s first printer to partner with Green-e certification.
The Green-e initiative is another way in which Hemlock is reducing its operational carbon footprint, which the company reports to have decreased by 24 percent since 2008.
Developed by the Center for Resource Solutions, Green-e is described as an independent consumer protection program for the sale of renewable energy and greenhouse gas reductions in the retail market. The certification is recognized as an independent and international verification program.
By purchasing renewable-energy credits for electricity used, Hemlock is contributing to the development of recently built North American energy facilities and renewable energy projects in both Canada and the United States.
Through its new certification, Hemlock is also participating in the Green-e Marketplace re:print, a program that grants use of the Green-e logo on materials sourced from paper and printers that use renewable energy – for both printer and client. Green-e Marketplace certifies such printers and paper lines involved with solar, wind, and biomass energy, among other sources.
The Green-e certification was largely driven by Hemlock’s earlier partnership with Climate Smart, which is a Vancouver-based social enterprise that helps small and medium business measure and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. Climate Smart, currently has over 550 businesses as alumni in the program.
In terms of reducing its carbon footprint, Hemlock is also involved with FortisBC, which provides credits for renewable natural gas, based on methane gas generated from organic waste found at local farms and landfills in BC. Hemlock also works closely with Offsetters, Canopy, and the Forestry Stewardship Council.
Complete Offsetters Media KitDownload PDF
Offsetters Investor PresentationDownload PDF
- @HemlockPrinters are introducing Coronado SST 100 - the next evolution in recycled paper and 100% #carbon neutral http://t.co/indv0sOo7y
- CDP: A price on #carbon #pollution might benefit companies and the US #economy as a whole http://t.co/MtYlN0HrYF
- New report by @CDP confirms companies taking #climate action generating 18% higher #ROE than peers http://t.co/wLHP4sHpV9
- It's been a whirlwind this week for #climate in the news. What was your favourite news story? #UNClimateSummit #NewMetrics
- @BarackObama to designate world’s largest #marine sanctuary in the Pacific an off-limits commercial fishing zone http://t.co/CxvRb22Wac