Offsetters Chosen by Canada's Largest Carbon Neutral Credit Union
For the second year in a row, Vancity has chosen BC-based Offsetters to support their climate strategies. With this purchase of high-quality carbon offsets, Vancity remains carbon neutral.
Vancity became the first North American based financial institution to be carbon neutral in 2008. Canada's largest credit union achieved its goal through a rigorous emissions reduction program focusing on energy use, staff travel, paper consumption, and waste. What it couldn't reduce, it offset by investing in BC-based verified emissions reduction projects. Working with The Pembina Institute, Vancity conducted a thorough investigation of offset providers and selected Offsetters to deliver their carbon credits.
Vancity is a leader in climate action and has implemented a number of leading strategies in this area. Offsetters is Canada's first and leading carbon management provider and was selected by the Pacific Carbon Trust as the first supplier of carbon offsets to the BC Crown Corporation. Offsetters is also the first ever Official Supplier of Carbon Offsets to an Olympic Games and will be providing theVancouver 2010 Winter and Paralympic Games with carbon credits sourced from clean technology developed in BC's Lower Mainland.
Working together Vancity and Offsetters have invested in clean, renewable energy projects that have prevented approximately 6000 tonnes of CO2e emissions from being produced.
Vancity is Canada's largest credit union, with $14.5 billion in assets, more than 400,000 members, and 60 branches throughout Greater Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, Victoria and Squamish. Vancity is guided by a commitment to improving the quality of life in the communities where they live and work.
Offsetters has been helping individuals and organizations understand, reduce, track and offset their greenhouse gas emissions since 2005. We use carbon offset funds to develop and invest in high-quality, renewable energy and energy efficiency projects that would otherwise not take place. Our ultimate goal is to create a mainstream shift toward clean energy systems that will get us out of the fossil fuel dependence we face today. For project, team, product, and service information, visit www.offsetters.ca.
For further information: Media contact: Kari Grist, VP, Marketing and Client Relations, 604.699.2650, kari_gr...@offsetters.ca
Complete Offsetters Media KitDownload PDF
Offsetters Investor PresentationDownload PDF
- Did you know more than 95% of Ugandans rely on fuel wood for cooking? How carbon offset funds improve fuel efficiency http://t.co/WnlE984xd9
- Scientists urge Florida to lead the way in renewable energy. How climate denial could threaten the state's future http://t.co/lu2vgGpP6w
- Say no to green-washing. New report sheds light on how marketing and sustainability can go hand in hand http://t.co/5VJTiPpNMc
- For all ye visual learners, how securing community forest rights can dramatically reduce deforestation http://t.co/dLZ9ZJ08hF
- It's happened. Solomons town is the first in Pacific to relocate due to climate change http://t.co/Tez6BD7Eql