Summer Newsletter 2014 Offsetters Summer 2014 Newsletter In this issu...
Offset projects can generate significant revenue and make a material difference in an organization’s decision to adopt clean technology. Our experienced project development team can help you effectively reduce the costs, overcome the challenges and mitigate the risks of getting your offset project off the ground.
We’re one of the largest offset project developers in Canada, and have successfully developed projects in BC, Canada and around the world. Our team has worked on a number of offset project types including various energy efficiency measures in both mobile and station applications, biomass fuel switching, ground source heat pumps, energy efficient cook stoves, and landfill methane capture.
Offsetters’ experienced project managers possess the specialized skills that are necessary to deliver your project to market efficiently and effectively. Our carbon finance team can also create innovative fee structures around project development and brokerage rates, and ensure that the highest value is realised from the project through our sales and trading function.
Contact us to learn how we can help you manage any or all of the various stages of your carbon project’s lifecycle:
1. Rapid assessment
It is important to understand the basic feasibility of any offset project before committing to the higher-cost design stages. The final assesment will make a go/no go recommendation based on the information provided. We will cover:
- Basic carbon modelling and quantification
- Ownership issues
- Protocol overview
2. Project/Program Design
The detailed program design holds the key to success for a carbon project. In most carbon markets, this design will need to be validated by an accredited qualified third party, and must be high quality to succeed. The design will include:
- Protocol creation (if required)
- Detailed baseline and project calculations
- An estimate of the annual GHG reductions over the life of the carbon project
3. Design Validation
In most carbon programs, the design documentation is required to pass validation by an accredited third party. These third parties (usually auditing or engineering firms) have stringent requirements. Having an expert, such as Offsetters, manage the process significantly increases the likelihood of a successful audit. We will:
- Engage a qualified third party, seeking to minimize costs while maximizing the likelihood of a positive, high quality validation statement
- Manage the process of validation with the third party, acting as the project owners’ advocate
- Make the required changes to the project design documents in order to allow the project to be validated
4. Data Monitoring and Management
The data monitoring plan will be set out in the project design documents. Following the data plan accurately and keeping the required information is vital in order to ensure the generation of offsets through the verification process. Dependant on the project type and complexity, Offsetters will:
- Collaborate with the project owner to ensure robust data management process are put in place at the outset of the project
- Create software to manage the data, and to easily produce the required outputs for verification
- Ensure that appropriate Quality Control and Quality Assurance (QA/QC) procedures are in place
5. Annual Verification and Credit Registration
In order to generate offsets, the data that has been collected over a period of time (usually annually) needs to be verified by a qualified third party. When the credits have been verified, the results need to be communicated to a third-party registry to allow them to be publically accessible and serialized for trading.
- Create required documentation for the verification
- Engage a qualified third party to perform the verification, and manage the verification process
- Register the credits to the third-party registry
Email proje...@offsetters.ca or call 604.699.2650 for more information.